There are many occupations in the world and it seems limitless. One of them is academic librarian. Even though by the name of it, it is easy to know what profession that is, still many people are unable to really understand what an academic librarian does. Even for those who work on campus as well as other departments seems to not really understand about what academic librarian does. Before going off explaining job description of an academic librarian, it is also important to know more about academic library.
What is academic library?
Academic library is a library which is attached to higher education institution. It serves to support the school’s curriculum as well as the research of the university faculty as well as the students themselves. There are numerous academic libraries around the world. However, it is stated that there are 3,785 libraries linked to academic and research maintained by UNESCO. The overall number of academic libraries is hard to count. In the United States only, there are about 3,799 academic libraries. Just imagine how many libraries accumulated from all over the world. Academic library is one of important support in education and teaching-learning program. It provides materials for students to learn more especially for class reading and paper making. Every academic library has its own size, resources, collections, as well as services. Do you know which academic library considered as the largest in the world? It is The Harvard University Library. There are also academic libraries owned by the University of the South Pacific which have been distributed throughout its 12 member countries.
What academic librarians do?
Lots of people misunderstand about academic librarian’s job description. Most people think that their work is only to organize the book or putting the books on their supposed section. Some people also think that academic librarians are equal to book stampers. Well, there are more things you need to know about academic librarians do at their work. So here are general job duties for academic librarians:
- Academic librarians are supposed to coordinate the library research assistant services. There are various services that academic librarians can give such as general research help or the specific one. When they are required to help a research https://dadupokerqq.com/, they will be available.
- Academic librarians are in charge of staffing and scheduling for the first-year information literacy program. There is usually teamwork or partnership in completing this job in which librarians work with other librarians for the program.
- Academic librarians manage the Curriculum Materials Collection as well as supervise one student worker. Supervising part-timer librarian and supporting staff position is also included into academic librarian’s job description.
- There is 3D printing service in most academic library. Thus, this becomes an academic librarian duty to manage. Designing or creating social media post or library graphic is also often included into job description.
Is it hard to become academic librarian?
Well, every job has its own dynamic. There are parts when you experience the hardest and other parts when you can really enjoy or have fun with. Becoming academic librarian means you need to pursue your education on the right path. Looking to job description, it seems a lot. However, the work of academic librarians is mostly cyclical just like the academic year. You will spend your time by helping research, prepping for teaching, and doing supervisory or management stuff. Some people even try to work in a library before even getting library degree to taste the water. If you feel like it is your call to become academic librarians, you might as well give it a try because there are advantages from becoming academic librarian.
Working as academic librarian is already challenging because there is need to keep developing and progressing. This is also related to how academic changes and develop from time to time following the trend. Besides, there are various issues related to resources and technologies within library and academic institutions. People might think that librarian is boring job. However, it is far from truth. Academic librarians are required to work within group as well as deliver personal initiatives within workspace in academic environment. When you become academic librarian, you work with technologies as well such as storing and accessing agen bola database to provide info for students, researcher or lecturing staffs. When you are in senior position, you may have your own management and staff working in different departments within academic library. However, it means your responsibility expands as well.
What kind of challenges faced by academic librarians today?
Since the world keeps moving and changing, there are new challenges emerge include within academic library. Here are challenges faced by most academic librarians within their workspace:
- In this digital age, changes are inevitable. However, the real challenge related to digital changing within academic library is how to communicate those changes. Then, it is also challenging to gain support needed for communications. Remember that within academic environment, there are various stakeholders whose involvement in the process does matter.
- Budget has also become challenging issue for academic librarians. It is challenging to compete for funding as well as grow library’s resources within allocated means. Besides, defending the amount of library’s resources is also not less challenging. These challenges also lead to another challenge which is declining patron’s request for content.
- The research cycle within academic library is also challenging especially because the research trend keeps changing. It is important for academic librarians to provide information and content which is discoverable for users. Thus, it is a challenge for librarians to earn new skill in data management so it will keep up with research trends. Thus, it will be easier for users to find relevant content since information in this era tends to be overload.
- The next challenge faced by academic librarians is the transition from printed to digital-based collection. Librarians are expected to manage as well as participate in the transformation and transition. The transformation is regarding to physical space in the library. Librarians should work harder to make the transformation provide better accommodation and collaboration for various activities.
There are many accesses if you are interested in working in academic environment. Instead of becomes a teacher, you can also work as academic librarian. Different from librarian working in public library, academic librarian will be required to have specific academic subject or to develop specialist knowledge as well as other function such as loans, resource ordering, ICT system, specialist collections, library project, etc. Generally, academic librarian is responsible to manage, organize, as well as evaluate and disseminate information.
They will be required to provide support to members of academy community including students, lecturing staffs, as well as researchers.
Academic librarian has role to facilitate and support learning by teaching information literacy skills to staffs and students in various environment such as classroom, workshop, or virtual learning environment, situs judi poker. However, you need to remember that job titles can be vary such as information adviser, subject librarian, liaison librarian, etc. As an academic librarian, you are responsible to:
- Manage and develop book collections as well as journals both paper and electronics and websites.
- Assist researchers to provide information needed using database, internet, as well as printed resources. You may be required to have conversation and discussion in order to provide more support to the research.
- Coordinate and deliver information as well as digital literacy session to staffs, researchers, and students in various environments needed. You will be involved in classroom teaching or workshops to deliver a presentation.
- Use library and information software to select and acquire catalogue information. Besides, you will also be required to create, update, as well as manage printed and electronic information resources.
- Give specific contribution to academic course development as well as liaise with academic departments.
- Maintain and establish effective working relationships with other staffs as well as students in academic environment. You will be required to manage partnerships with external bodies such as suppliers.
- Manage furniture, building, as well as equipment if needed. You may be required to oversee the building of new or existing libraries.
- Manage enquiries as well as budgets especially those related to allocated subject areas and departments. You will be also required to allocate length of loans.
Typically, academic librarians work from 9am to 5pm in a day. However, you might be expected to do additinal evening or weekend work. About the salary, it depends on various factors such as location, as well as area of library work.
Becoming an academic librarians needs useful. There are different perspectives of being academic librarian. Lots of people view this job as boring. However, there are many advantages of being librarian, especially when you are specialized in academic workspace. The transition from being student to professional librarian can be challenging. To become academic librarian, you will not only need to understand the theory and methodology but also to gain practical skills.
Thus, you can succeed as an academic librarian. The program in most LIS is integrating experiential learning into curriculum. Remember that responsibilities of academic librarians are broader are quite different from public librarian.
Here are main skills you need to succeed as an academic librarian:
- Interpersonal skills- There are variety of abilities in this skill. You need to manage professional relationships with variety of people. Remember that people have different backgrounds, as well as skills and personality. It is important to be able to collaborate with others. You also need to develop a professional identity and resolve conflict within the group.
- Technology – It cannot be denied that technology keeps changing and advancing. There is no reason not to keep up with the changes. Regarding to technology, there are wide varieties of skills you need to acquire such as designing web https://daduonline88.com/, storing and accessing information, computing, etc. If you cannot keep up with the latest technology information and skills, you won’t be able to adapt with your work environment properly. It will not do good to your career development.
- Instruction skills – Academic librarians also need instruction skills since academic is where teaching-learning process is. There are many opportunities to teach when you become academic librarian for example in workshops. Besides, it is unavoidable since workshops are part of practicums and internship. If you are currently pursuing library degree, you must have known that taking instruction methodology courses is a must.
- Adaption skills – Academic environment is constantly shifting. Thus, you need to follow the dynamic and adapt to every changes happen in your work environment if you want to succeed as an academic librarian. However, there are always rooms to acquire new skills to help you develop.
- Other skills – There are other skills needed to succeed as academic librarian such as customer service, ICT skills, research, prioritizing work, logical thinking, appreciation of the pressure and demands within academic work environment, etc. Negotiation skill is also needed and often stated in job posting.
Librarian can work in public library or academic library according to the degree you earned. Lots of people view librarian as boring job. However, it is not a boring as it looks especially for academic librarian. Your job is more than book stamping. Academic librarian has more complex yet wider range of job to do in the workspace.
Of course, most of the responsibilities and duties is cyclical but it doesn’t mean you won’t have any fun from doing it. Lots of librarians think that this job is indeed rewarding and stimulating. Here are reasons why becoming academic librarian is worth it:
- Academic librarian works at the heart of an institution’s research activities. Thus, if you become academic librarian, there are many things you can do. The broader the skills you improve, the more opportunities to do more. You can be involved in academic process such as prepping for teaching materials, curriculum, etc. You can also help research conducted by students. Being academic librarian requires more complex and wider skills because your job is not only sitting on the front desk.
- There is always an opportunity to expand your skills while working as academic library. Remember that academic is dynamic. There is always change which requires you to keep adapting. You can develop useful skills from time to time such as organization, administration, accuracy, information and database management, research, communications technologies, more specialized knowledge, etc. The skills you improved won’t be a waste. It helps to level up your career instead.
- Being academic librarian means you are constantly learning. When you love knowledge, you will be more open to learn new things. In academic library, you will not only learn about theoretical knowledge but also the practical ones. For example, you will learn technical sides such as how to store and access information using technology. You will be able to keep up with the latest information technologies to help your work.
- Academic librarian is more of people-person. Thus, you will interact with people more aside with the books. There are many types of research conducted in which requires your help. Thu, you will develop your customer service skill by helping or assisting the research. You can help collecting necessary information and sources to support the research. Or, you will be required to have a chat with the researchers to discuss about the topic. There is self-satisfaction resulted from helping people that needs your skills and knowledge.