Becoming an academic librarians needs useful. There are different perspectives of being academic librarian. Lots of people view this job as boring. However, there are many advantages of being librarian, especially when you are specialized in academic workspace. The transition from being student to professional librarian can be challenging. To become academic librarian, you will not only need to understand the theory and methodology but also to gain practical skills.
Thus, you can succeed as an academic librarian. The program in most LIS is integrating experiential learning into curriculum. Remember that responsibilities of academic librarians are broader are quite different from public librarian.
Here are main skills you need to succeed as an academic librarian:
- Interpersonal skills- There are variety of abilities in this skill. You need to manage professional relationships with variety of people. Remember that people have different backgrounds, as well as skills and personality. It is important to be able to collaborate with others. You also need to develop a professional identity and resolve conflict within the group.
- Technology – It cannot be denied that technology keeps changing and advancing. There is no reason not to keep up with the changes. Regarding to technology, there are wide varieties of skills you need to acquire such as designing web https://daduonline88.com/, storing and accessing information, computing, etc. If you cannot keep up with the latest technology information and skills, you won’t be able to adapt with your work environment properly. It will not do good to your career development.
- Instruction skills – Academic librarians also need instruction skills since academic is where teaching-learning process is. There are many opportunities to teach when you become academic librarian for example in workshops. Besides, it is unavoidable since workshops are part of practicums and internship. If you are currently pursuing library degree, you must have known that taking instruction methodology courses is a must.
- Adaption skills – Academic environment is constantly shifting. Thus, you need to follow the dynamic and adapt to every changes happen in your work environment if you want to succeed as an academic librarian. However, there are always rooms to acquire new skills to help you develop.
- Other skills – There are other skills needed to succeed as academic librarian such as customer service, ICT skills, research, prioritizing work, logical thinking, appreciation of the pressure and demands within academic work environment, etc. Negotiation skill is also needed and often stated in job posting.